Pro's GM Baseball League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arizona Republic News

Go down

Arizona Republic News Empty Arizona Republic News

Post  Beach Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:29 am

When asked about this years team heading into opening day this Thursday, GM Brad Beach responded "Deadly!". With returning Cy Young Candidate Brandon Webb, now joined by AL 2007 Cy Young Candidate Danny Haren, the D'Backs are looking to posses quite the starting rotation. Max Scherzer is ready to leave the minors and step into his role as the number three slot starter. Max is excited and prepared for the role, " I just sit here and look at all the moves this team made this off-season, and i thank God I am still here! With Jarrod (Parker), Dallas (Buck) and Matt (Torra) leaving, I didn't know who was next, but obviously this team has a plan for me, and I'm excited to find out what that is!".

This off-season the D'Backs acquired two star caliber players...who made their team even younger. Now aboard the D'Backs train are star slugger Ryan Howard and heavily touted B.J. Upton! B.J. comes over to join younger brother Justin in the outfield for the D'Backs, and he is excited. " You know it's not often in professional sports you get to play with a family member, let alone a brother..I'm excited as can be, it's gonna be a great year!"

Howard is coming off yet another stellar season with the Phillies ( 58 HR's, 149 RBI's, .313 BA) and he should continue that in Arizona, " I'm pumped to be here...it's never cold!" While B.J. wasn't given that much playing time last season with the Devil Rays ( 175 AB, 1 HR, 10 RBI, .246 BA) he feels confident he can step in and make an impact this season. And thanking the GM...is Chris Young, " You know we had a great team last year, made the playoffs..but I truely believe this could be our year, we made the right off-season moves to compete...for now".

We got a chance to catch up with young slinger Micah Owings after a bullpen session in practice, and we asked him what he expects from this years D'Backs squad, he replied " I know I'm ready, but I don't think the league is...the desert can't even handle the heat this team is gonna bring!"
Beach
Beach

Back to top Go down